There’s every possible that the ongoing lockdown may be extended if the statement or threat by the Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed is anything to go by.
In a statement credited to the Minister, Lai Mohammed we gathered said the lockdown maybe extended if residents do not behave themselves.
On Sunday, President Muhammadu Buhari ordered a 14-day lockdown as a measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
So far, Nigeria has recorded 190 cases of coronavirus, two deaths and 25 reoveries.
Speaking at a press conference by Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 on Friday in Abuja, Mohammed said Nigerians should observe social distancing and a good hygiene so that everyone could give back to their normal lives after the lockdown.
“If we don’t behave ourselves, there is a likelihood that the lockdown will be extended, but if we behave ourselves, there might not be an extension and I hope we do so,” he said.
“If we stay at home for two weeks and we are doing everything we are supposed to do, we should be able to effectively contain the disease.
“Therefore, my appeal to Nigerians is that they should obey the directive on social distancing, personal hygiene and shun gatherings; after two weeks, we will resume our normal life.
“But if they think it is a joke, then we may have to stay at home more than the two weeks.”
The pandemic has crippled social and economic activities around the world.