On Thursday, Chris Ngige, Minister of Labour and Employment, assured the Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) that payment will commence soon as the Federal Government is yet to pay June hazard allowance of medical workers handling COVID-19.
He blamed a shortfall in government revenue for the delay.
Speaking on Residency Training for doctors, Ngige said the Ministry of Health and the Budget Office were working with the Ministry of Finance to resolve the problem.
He disclosed that Teaching Hospitals and Medical Centres have been directed to submit the list of their personnel who had hitches receiving their payments.
The names will be forwarded to the Intergrated Payroll and Personnel Information System (IPPIS), Ngige assured.
The minister confirmed that the University of Port Harcourt Teaching Hospital (UPTH) issue had been resolved and that the Chief Medical Director has brought back the interdicted Resident Doctors.
“Elections have been conducted to elect an interim executive to man the affairs of that chapter till December 2020, after which a fresh election would hold for a new executive that would take over in 2021.”
Aliyu Sokomba, NARD President said though a few issues were still pending, there has been an improvement in terms government actions.